Thursday, June 12, 2008

Onnara or Thaar

Did you ever try Google search, for "onnara" or "thaar' , the unique Keralite antareeyam ? If yes, you might have seen a few links.  If no, may be you never thought of it !!
In any case, please retry now ...  Search here ... and please come back.


Yeah, there are a couple of links referring to Onnara. And I could get a few short stories, which I do not intent to mention here.  But let me tell you, no one has given a reasonable coverage of Onnara on the net. I know that Onnara is not a modern subject. Only those who had the "kick of the tuck' would enjoy that or would search for it.

But, dear friends, Onnara is not all that 'old' or obsolete. It continues to be a hot item with many ladies and girls in Kerala, even today.

But an important point to be noted is that Onnara is also called "Thaar". In Travancore region, I think it is more often called "thaar". And in north Kerala (Malabar side !) its Onnara. However, its the same.  { What's there in a name ? }. The style of wearing is same (but for minor differences).
Do you remember, I've mentioned about a 6x3 cloth ? Please go back to my earlier posts, and read again. Its the 'thaaar thorthu' or 'thaar mundu' or 'onnara mundu'.

As I mentioned above, the web presence of thaar (onnara) is very poor. This blog, I hope would create a strong presence, and  enliven a dying custom. I request readers ( ladies and gentlemen) , who are knowledgeable in this great garment (and culture), to post details of what they know of it. Please also post some pictures, and on how to wear it.

As a friend of mine puts it,  let's all strive hard to popularise thaar/onnara, the world over !!!

More on thaar next time ...

No comments: